Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Gleek Critique: "Original Song" Episode

New Directions performing their original "Loser Like Me" at Regionals.  Image property of Fox.

Although Rachel's newest attempt at songwriting, "Only Child," is better than the dismal "My Headband," it's still not that fantastic.  Maybe a little too Rachel-tailored?  However, the idea still catches on and it is decided by all the New Directions kids that they will sing original music at Regionals.  Quinn agrees to help Rachel, with motives all her own, but the other kids think they should all get a stab at songwriting.  Plenty of original songs are created and sung, and ultimately the perfect two are chosen for the big competition!

So why was Quinn helping Rachel?  Only to get close enough to tell her to stay away from Finn, because although she may have Finn now, she knows that he still harbors feelings for Rachel and vice versa.  As far as Quinn is concerned, Finn is her first love and they are going to get married and live in Lima their whole lives.  Oh, and she really wants them to be Prom King and Queen.  Like really really wants that...


Over at Dalton Academy, Kurt suggests that somebody besides Blaine should sing all of The Warblers' solos.  As a sort of compromise, it is decided that the solo should become a duet.  Blaine chooses Kurt to be his duet partner after hearing Kurt's beautiful tribute to the deceased Warbler mascot.  But not only did Kurt's rendition of The Beatles' song "Blackbird" cause him to be chosen for the duet, it also helped Blaine to realize that he had feelings for Kurt.  Their friendship has officially become a relationship.

And the big competition?  McKinley's New Directions won first place!  They are going to Nationals!

The Pros:
  • The Warblers singing Maroon 5's "Misery" was a great way to start the episode!  They later sang an awesome version of Pink's "Raise Your Glass" and to show their softer side, "Candles" by Hey Monday.
  • The original songs that didn't make the cut were all pretty fun, especially Santana's ode to her big-lipped boyfriend entitled "Trouty Mouth."  Silly lyrics but very jazzy and sexy.  She has a great voice.  Puck's song written for Lauren was pretty awesome as well.  I mean, it's called "Big Ass Heart."  What more is there to say?  And Mercedes really stole the show with her "Hell to the No."  I love to hear that girl sing!
  • When Blaine said, "You move me, Kurt" I swooned!  Oh my gosh, so romantic and way too freaking cute!  And that kiss?!  TO DIE FOR!  By far the greatest moment thus far on Glee for me!  I love Kurt's character so much and I am very happy that he has found love at last! 
  • I really thought Rachel's "Get It Right" was performed beautifully.  She is such a talented performer.  And of course, "Loser Like Me" was a fun anthem for losers everywhere, ready to be a chart-topper!
  • Kathy Griffin was on!  I love her, I love her, I love her!  And having her play a member of the tea party was very funny.  When she said, "I am not a witch," I almost peed my pants.  That whole judge scene was just hilarious in general, what with Rod being Rod and that stripper-turned-nun going on and on...
  • "My husband is verbally abusive and I have been drinking since noon.. I'm bored, let's just see who won!"  Ha ha, so funny.  And then Sue went and punched her!  Ha ha ha, even funnier!
The Cons:
  • Santana won't talk to Brittany now, and seems determined to just act is if she never said anything about her feelings for her.  She's just going to keep on dating Sam.  Sad.
  • Whatever happened to Vocal Adrenaline, the big rivals from last season?  Don't tell me they didn't make it to Regionals!
  • As cute as the foam "loser" hands were, where in the world did the audience get them from?  And nobody outside of McKinley High would understand the significance of the slushie-throwing at the end...
  • No new episodes until April!?

8 comments:

~BeX~ said...

I think this episode might be my favorite so far! I love that Kurt and Blaine get to be together so much I simply cannot express it. And the music....divine! Except, of course, for "Jesus is my friend" which was simply ridiculous (and brilliant in its stupidity.) Honestly, The New Directions' songs spoke right to my heart and I can't wait to own them. And I've never heard of Hey Monday, but you can bet I'm going to be doing some research after that Kurt/Blaine duet!

Joaquin the Chihuahua said...

Yeah... I chose not to even mention "Jesus is My Friend." Ha ha. But yes, the original songs were really great. Rachel's was my favorite I think.

~BeX~ said...

Oh, and the audience got their foam loser hands from the same place they got the light up candle things for the Blurt duet. And you see Kurt pull a bunch from under his seat, so maybe we're supposed to assume the groups planted props to help with crowd participation...

P.S. I believe Santana's song was called "Trouty Mouth."

Joaquin the Chihuahua said...

That's what I said ;)

~BeX~ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~BeX~ said...

I really should be going to bed, but I just read over this post again and had to put in my two cents about Vocal Adrenaline. At the end of last season, Shelby adopts Quinn's baby and quits coaching VA. She has a whole discussion with Mr. Shue about it. So, without their hard-core coach, VA just doesn't have the vocal chops to compete. They were much more about the spectacle and less about the music. That's my opinion, anyway...

You changed it! Jerk! ;)

Joaquin the Chihuahua said...

Okay, that's a good theory. I just don't understand why Glee went to all the trouble of getting Cheyenne Jackson, a big broadway actor, to play the new Vocal Adrenaline coach and have Charice play Sunshine Corazon and join Vocal Adrenaline if they didn't plan on using them ever again...

~BeX~ said...

Perhaps there was some sort of zoning change and The New Directions won't compete against VA until Nationals...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails