Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Wizard Week: David Yates Talks 'Deathly Hallows'

Collider posted an interview yesterday with David Yates, the director of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.  It was a really interesting interview and I encourage y'all to check it out for yourselves and read the whole thing!  However, if you don't want to, I've taken it upon myself to share with you some of the highlights...

On filming on location:
Dan sat on the sand...we have to continually shoot because the tide's coming in.  He's really cold.  He's on the verge of hypothermia and I go, "Right--go again, go again." ... And he found it so exhilarating acting in those circumstances because when you put all those elements around you, as you act, it suddenly makes you connect with a truth more... so being out was very liberating for them and for us.
On Rupert Grint:
I think Rupert could be a really wonderful straight actor 'cause we always think of him as a comedian... he's so quiet and graceful.  There's a real poetry about Rupert as a human being, as an actor...  He's a funny guy, isn't he, but it was great for him to do some serious stuff.
On his approach to the films:
I've always tired to make them a bit earthier.  I've always tried to go for more emotional reality.  I've always tried to make them a bit more edgier and intense.  I know some people don't like them or get frustrated with them but there's an enormous amount of affection for what we do and the expectations are always sky high.
On the final day of filming:
There was a little party and a mariachi band, actually.  And Rupert brought his ice cream van and he made ice creams for everybody.
Sure sounds like a party to me!  And so far I've liked David Yates' approach to the films, especially with the last one, so I'm very excited to see what he's done with Deathly Hallows.  Sounds like everybody brought their "A" game to the project, both on-screen and off.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails