Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Blizzard?

Our view from the balcony.  Let it snow!  Let it snow!  Let it snow!
Well, I feel like the holidays are officially here.  Even though the stores have had Christmas decorations for months now, blaring festive music through their speakers loud enough to make a Scrooge out of Santa even,  it still didn't feel like Christmas.  I didn't care that the cheesy Christmas movies and specials had already begun to fill up our television stations, or that advertisements were already telling us to stock up on stocking stuffers...  I was just refusing to believe that it was that jolly time of year.  But with the sudden snowfall, I'm starting to get the feeling that Christmas really is upon us.  It's official, even if we do still have Thanksgiving to go through...

Oh, snow.  I have such a love/hate relationship with snow.  On the one hand, it's so pretty and magical, evoking nostalgic holiday feelings.  I even like bundling up in my coat and scarf, and shaking it off my shoes.  But on the other hand, it's cold, wet, and makes driving almost impossible.  Luckily I don't have a car anymore, so I'm not outside like Brian having to scrape ice off the windshield.  And did I mention it's cold?

But the snowfall we got last night was hardly worth all of the panic and fear surrounding it.  All morning there was talk of the big huge monstrously scary blizzard that would hit in the afternoon.  They were issuing warnings left and right not to drive, in fact, many businesses shut down early to ensure their employees made it home safely.  Schools went ahead and sent kids home as well and canceled their Wednesday classes.  People were buying candles and firewood in preparation for the loss of power to be expected later in the night.

Well, the big huge monstrously scary blizzard didn't hit Salt Lake City until around 6:00 PM or so.  And as Brian and I drove home from the Smith's Marketplace, we couldn't help noticing that the big huge monstrously scary blizzard wasn't really that big or huge or monstrously scary...  Sure it was snowing, and it was windy, but it just felt like "snowfall" not "blizzard."  After three or four hours it was done.

I've had Dairy Queen Blizzards more dangerous than that...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails