Friday, January 28, 2011

They Nominated Who?

Earlier this week the nominations for the 83rd Annual Academy Awards were announced… and there were some surprising nominations.  Well, surprising to me at least. 

First off, The Kids Are All Right is getting a lot more Oscar nods than I think it deserves.  I saw the movie.  I liked the movie.  But I didn’t think it was by any means fabulous.  Do you know what I mean?  I just didn’t think it was that good.  Brian thinks it’s political, and he may be right.  Lesbian's rights activists would probably be livid if the movie wasn’t at least nominated.

But seriously…  Mark Ruffalo is nominated?  And why Annette Bening over Julianne Moore?   Is it because Moore’s a redhead?  That is so messed up…  I promise you ginger kids have souls.  They really do.  My mom is a ginger, and I love her!

(There was a South Park reference in there.  Did you catch it?)

Oh, do you know what else makes me upset?  Once again, Leonardo DiCaprio is snubbed at the Oscars.  Why do they always do this to him?  Two years ago he was in a fantastic film called Revolutionary Road with Kate Winslet and they were both amazing in it.  Kate Winslet won an Oscar that year for her other movie, The Reader, even though she was far more impressive in Revolutionary Road.  And Leo?  Nothing.   Not a thing.  It was like everyone decided to just ignore him and that movie all together.

But what’s the excuse this year?  Inception is getting plenty of attention as far as awards go—I mean, it is nominated for Best Picture—but does anyone think Leonardo DiCaprio deserves a nomination?  I guess nobody else but me and Brian.  Or what about his performance in Shutter Island?  Brilliant beyond brilliant!  A nomination for that role this year?  No.  I am furious.  FURIOUS!

I need to calm down…  Where are my pills?

Okay, my other complaints are less drastic.  I loved Hereafter, but the special effects in it were pretty bad… and what is its only nomination?  Best Achievement in Visual Effects.  Seriously?  And do you know what isn’t nominated for Visual Effects?  Tron.  Yup, Hereafter over Tron.  And what else did Tron have to bring to the table besides its effects?

And speaking of these technical awards, my beloved Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is nominated for Visual Effects and Art Direction, which makes me happy, but what makes me sad is that I know it won’t win.  A decade-long film franchise and not a single Oscar to its name.  Oh well.

The Oscars air Sunday, February 27th… maybe we’ll have cable by then.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails