Monday, January 24, 2011

Movies of 2005: My Fave Five

5.  The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
This movie opens up with dolphins singing “So long and thanks for all the fish!”  I was hooked instantly.  I also decided to eat some dolphin-safe tuna while watching.
4.  The Chronicles of Narnia:  The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
All I’ve got to say is this movie is far more exciting than the original novel.  The novel is dull, but this movie was magical.  Same can’t be said for the sequels however…
3.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Although I don’t think a remake of a childhood classic was necessary, I did find myself enjoying this movie.  Even against my will.  And while it may be very pointless and silly, I guess that’s the point.  “Candy doesn’t have to have a point.  That’s why it’s candy.”
2.  The Producers
“May I take your hat, your coat, and your swastikas?”  They wanted to produce the world’s worst show, but lo and behold a musical about Nazis turns out to be a success.  This movie musical is hilarious!
1.  Brokeback Mountain
The tagline says it all:  “Love is a force of nature.”  This movie is absolutely heartbreaking, and it should have won best picture that year at the Academy Awards.  And I’m not just saying that because I’m gay.  This movie deserved it.
               
Honorable Mentions:  The 40-Year-Old Virgin, Hitch, Mr. and Mrs. Smith

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails