Sunday, July 31, 2011

25 Days of Jack: Day Five

I cannot slice and dice to save my life.

I don't know what it is about knives, but they sort of terrify me.  I can cut into bread or cake just fine, but it when it comes to vegetables or fruit or anything used in cooking, I'm pretty pathetic.  Brian can chop, mince, julienne, chiffonade, or spatchcock with the greatest of ease and speed.  I however move at a snail's pace carefully avoiding my fingers to cut something into giant, uneven cubes. The other day he asked me to peel some apples for a pie he was working on.  An hour later I had managed to peel half an apple so he took over and assigned me a new task.

This happens quite often.

The task I'm best at when I'm trying to help Brian in the kitchen is cleaning up after him.  This works out really well actually because it's the thing Brian is worst at.  When Brian has finished cooking, there is usually a messy countertop strewn with dirty cookware and utensils with even more dishes piled high in the sink.  His mom usually has a cow over this and comes down into our lair shouting his name like a wounded banshee...

"BRIAN!  BRIAN!  CLEAN UP YOUR MESS RIGHT NOW!"

So in order to keep Mama Kesler happy, it's just better if I clean alongside Brian.  That way when our meal is prepared and ready to eat, the only thing dirty is whatever the food is in!

I tell you all this because that's about the only thing we did yesterday to celebrate 25 Days of Jack.  Other than making some pasta (with a velouté sauce, peas, corn and shrimp) we just lounged around in our pajamas watching a lengthy movie called Reds—which stars Warren Beatty and Diane Keaton and is really good if you haven’t seen it.  Beatty won the Oscar for his directing and the film was nominated for Best Picture in 1982.

The rest of the night was spent at work, which was thankfully busy and flew right by!

As far as giving out buttons goes, nobody answered yesterday's question.  However, I discovered late last night that Jennifer from Colorado had left me a joke in my inbox (rather than in the comments section) that I hadn't noticed before.  So I've decided to reward her with a Joaquin the Chihuahua button!  Here was the joke she sent:
A husband and wife are laying in bed on a Sunday morning.  The wife asks her husband to go to church with her.  The husband says, "No, I don't want to go to church."  She says, "Give me two reasons why you won't go to church with me."  He says, "Number 1, I don't like them.  Number 2, they don't like me."  And then he asks his wife to give him two good reasons he should go to church.  She says, "Number 1, I want you to.  Number 2, you're the preacher." 
Hee hee!  That's cute, right?  

Today's button will go out to the first person to call and sing "Happy Birthday" on my voicemail.  Unfortunately, only those who know my cell phone number can participate this time, but, oh well.  There are still 20 more days to go!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails