Thursday, April 29, 2010

Steve's Phone Call

Last night I received a phone call from my ex-stepdad (my mom's second husband) Steve.  Although he's technically not part of my family any more, I still consider him a very good friend.  He was part of my life for a good ten years, and I can't exactly act like he doesn't exist.

Although I did try that at one point.  Unfortunately, he was one of the many people that I did shut out after meeting Brian.  I ignored his phone calls, and was very vague and elusive with emails and things.  He finally found out I was gay through our long-time friends, the Mayhoffers.  He was shocked of course, and left me another voicemail saying that he knew and that he still wanted to be on good terms. 

I felt relieved and, I'll say it, touched that he still wanted to be a part of my life.  I called him back, and we've been on good terms ever since.  In fact, he happened to be in Utah a while back and we met up for breakfast at a Denny's near my apartment.  It was familiar and strange all at the same time, but I'm glad we had that breakfast.  It was also an opportunity for me to meet his new girlfriend, Amy, who has now become his fiancee.  They are set to marry June 9th, and my invitation is said to be on its way.

We had a good talk last night.  He Facebook stalks me occassionally, so he had some questions about New York for me.  He also knew I had interviewed for a second job, so I told him about that.  His parents, who were always very involved with us kids, had written me a letter back in February, to which I finally responded in April.  They were so happy to hear from me that they called him up and told him about it!  I hope I get another letter from them sometime soon.

My mom would rather I not talk to Steve or his family.  Her feelings were hurt by them years ago, and might have been part of the reason their marriage dissolved.  But in my opinion, their failed marriage isn't any different from the failed marriage of my mom to my actual father.  What I mean is, if I can still talk to my father, why can't I still talk to my once stepfather?  Both men have been important to me, and I'm glad that I can say both men are incredibly supportive of me to this day.

Thanks for the call, Steve, and I look forward to hearing from you again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails