Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Glee" Speaks Out

My friend Rebecca posted a link on her Facebook page this evening, which directed me to an MSN article about our favorite show Glee.  She and a few other friends come over every Tuesday night and we make a party of it.  We all cram around the TV and watch the latest episode, stuffing our faces with yummy treats and clapping our hands in excitement whenever they cover a song we like or say something funny.  We are true Gleeks.

The article in the link talked about Ryan Murphy's recent announcement to devote an entire episode on the issue of teen bullying, specifically towards gay teens.  I know my last few posts have been focused on homosexuality and bullying, and if you are getting tired of it, I don't apologize.  These issues have been on my mind for a while now, and I need to get them out into cyberland.

With the recent outrage over a certain religious leader's less than hopeful message for gay teens (this is me biting my tongue), I'm glad that at least the cast members of my favorite show have decided to say something positive and speak out against these tragedies.  Here are a few of my favorite statements made by the Glee cast in regards to teen bullying and the recent suicides in the news:


Cory Monteith (Finn):  "It's really important for a show like Glee, with all the exposure that it's getting, to start to bring important causes like this out in the open."

Kevin McHale (Artie):  "It's sad that it's taken these past few weeks and horrible tragedies to really let people know what's going on.  Hopefully we can move the general public and let the kids and the parents watching the show know that everybody deserves to be loved."

Heather Morris (Brittany):  "I just saw the tragedies on the news the other night.  I think people need to be aware of what the internet is doing for so many people... it's disgusting."

Iqbal Theba (Figgins):  "It's just beyond me why would anyone, anyone, dislike or hate anyone who's different, who's gay or different in any other way?"

Jessalyn Gilsig (Terri):  "Just as it's important to send this message to the kids about bullying and the effect it can have, we have to send it to the parents.  We have to send it to the teachers.  It's the adults who have to start taking responsibility and managing this behavior and educating youth on acceptance, empathy, and compassion."

Jane Lynch (Sue):  "It's way too many [deaths].  We adults, I don't care if you're homophobic or not, you've got to tell your kids that no matter how different anybody is, you don't bully them.  You just lay down the law there, you just don't do it."

Chris Colfer (Kurt):  "I know what it's like to be bullied and teased every single day, and I know that it may seem like there is no chance of happiness left, but I promise you there is a world full of acceptance and love just waiting for you to find it."  Watch his video for The Trevor Project.

Ryan Murphy (Producer):  "The core of the show is really about tolerance.  I think that's the legacy of Glee more than anything else."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails