Saturday, August 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

My 26th birthday is coming up soon and last night I threw a fantastic birthday party.  Knowing me, it was a themed party because, well, that's what I do.  The party was dubbed "Jack's 26th PB&J B-Day" aka "Peanut Butter Jelly Time!"  You know it's a good party when it has two different names.  That's a sign of quality.

So what happens at a peanut butter and jelly-themed birthday party, you ask?  Well, for starters we served various bite-sized gourmet versions of the classic sandwich.  For example, "The Spicy Thai" with curried peanut butter, orange marmalade, Thai basil and sriracha on naan bread.  Or another one on French bread featuring cashew butter and brie cheese with apple jelly.  Sandwiches with bacon and caramalized onions and goat cheese.  Yeah, we're fancy.

We also decorated in brown and purple (peanut butter and jelly), gave out Smuckers' Uncrustables as prizes and served a peanut butter and jelly birthday cake!  It was a pound cake shaped like bread with a layer of peanut butter frosting and strawberry jam in the middle.  Very delicious.  Brian worked so hard making all the food for my party and I am eternally grateful.

Oh, and we even served a peanut butter and jelly martini.  A PB&J really can be for grownups.

Many friends showed up to celebrate and I couldn't have been happier with the turn-out.  My friends Kayla and Melinda from Salt Lake City came down, my cousin Tanissa who I haven't seen in years graced me with her presence, and my newlywed friends Lexi and Stephen even showed up to party and I haven't seen them in months!  Other guests included coworkers, tons of homos, and regulars like Wes, Brett and Rafael.

I had every one of my guests write me a little note, and here are some of my favorites:
  • "Jack is the most awesomest gay person in the world..." - Unknown Source (Brett)
  • "Today is your birthday and I am still prettier than you." - Nick
  • "P.S. Your veggie bowl is full of wieners and balls..." - Emily
  • "Dear Jack, F*** you.  (With love)." - Curt
  • "You are the pus in a pimple on an otherwise perfect complexion..." - Rafael
  • "Don't take life too seriously and drink some Kool-Aid" - Bryce
  • "ERMAGERD JACK!  You be 20-f***ing-6!  ERMAGERD!" - Wes
  • "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm probably going to do straight things to you!!" - Nichole

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails